Top leaders at the FBI and Department of Justice lied to a FISA court judge to obtain a warrant to spy on a Trump campaign official in October of 2016, a blockbuster memo released today reveals.
The memo implicates disgraced former FBI Director James Comey, Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe, who recently announced his retirement, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, as well as others.
The memo shows that the phony dossier compiled by Christopher Steele on behalf of Hillary Clinton and the DNC was critical in obtaining FISA Court approval to spy on Carter Page, a foreign policy adviser to Trump.
Steele was also on the FBI payroll. The FISA request even included media reports about the dossier which had been leaked by Steele himself!
* Andrew McCabe confirmed that no FISA warrant would have been sought from the FISA Court without the Steele dossier information.
* The four FISA surveillance applications were signed by, in various combinations, James Comey, Andrew McCabe, Sally Yates, Dana Boente, and Rod Rosenstein.
* The FBI authorized payments to Steele for work on the dossier. The FBI terminated its agreement with Steele in late October when it learned, by reading an article in Mother Jones, that Steele was talking to the media.
* The political origins of the Steele dossier were known to senior DOJ and FBI officials, but excluded from the FISA applications.
* DOJ official Bruce Ohr met with Steele beginning in the summer of 2016 and relayed to DOJ information about Steele’s bias. Steele told Ohr that he, Steele, was desperate that Donald Trump not get elected president and was passionate about him not becoming president.”