The nation’s highest court delivered a major victory to President Trump on Monday as they allowed immigration restrictions detailed in an Executive Order earlier this year to stay in effect even as the policy faces scrutiny in the courts.
President Trump’s order, which opponents sometimes refer to as a “Muslim ban,” was no surprise.
During the 2016 campaign, increasing immigration restrictions to protect Americans from terrorism and crime was a foundation of Trump’s “America First” agenda.
According to CNBC:
“The Supreme Court is allowing the Trump administration to fully enforce a ban on travel to the United States by residents of six mostly Muslim countries.
The justices, with two dissenting votes, said Monday that the policy can take full effect even as legal challenges against it make their way through the courts. The action suggests the high court could uphold the latest version of the ban that Trump announced in September.
The ban applies to travelers from Chad, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen. Lower courts had said people from those nations with a claim of a “bona fide” relationship with someone in the United States could not be kept out of the country. Grandparents, cousins and other relatives were among those courts said could not be excluded.
Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor would have left the lower court orders in place.”