Donald Trump and his team have provided Republicans with detailed instructions to explain his current Cabinet selections.
The Washington Post writes, “The memo, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post, urges GOP lawmakers to describe Trump’s latest picks — former Goldman Sachs executive Steven Mnuchin for treasury secretary and billionaire investor Wilbur Ross for commerce — as “world-class” financial talents with “ideal,” “extraordinary” qualifications for their posts. The memo did not directly address concerns from some Trump supporters about the nominees’ elite backgrounds and ties to the finance industry.
The memo, transcribed, is posted below in full:
Appointment of Steven Mnuchin — Secretary of the Treasury
- Mr. Mnuchin is a world-class financier whose decades of experience with financial and monetary matters make him the ideal candidate to serve as US Treasury Secretary, President-elect Trump’s principal economic advisor.
- Mr. Mnuchin will spearhead President-elect Trump’s plan to develop a dynamic, booming economy that will create 25 million new jobs over the next decade.
- We will do this by:
- 1. Pushing a pro-growth tax plan in which every income group will receive a tax cut and low-income Americans will pay no taxes at all.
- 2. Crafting a modern regulatory framework that slashes the out-of-control bureaucracy that costs our economy $2T dollars each year.
- 3. Implementing an America-first trade policy, ensuring that every single one of our trade agreements increases our GDP growth rate, reduces our trade deficit, and strengthens our manufacturing base.
- 4. Unleashing American energy, creating millions of new jobs and slashing costs for consumers.
- 5. Proposing the “Penny Plan,” which will reduce spending by almost $1 trillion over ten years by simply reducing non-defense, non-safety net spending by one percent each year.
- Mr. Mnuchin was the finance director of Donald Trump’s successful presidential campaign, leading the President-elect’s highly successful and groundbreaking fundraising operation that helped propel him to the presidency.
- Since 2004, Mr. Mnuchin has been the CEO of Dune Capital Management, one of the country’s premier privately-owned hedge funds, specializing in public equity markets, real estate and the entertainment industry.
- Mr. Mnuchin co-founded RatPac-Dune Entertainment, which has produced wildly successful films, including Avatar, the highest grossing film in history ($2.8B worldwide), American Sniper, the X-Men series and many more.
- Prior to that, Mr. Mnuchin worked for 17 years at Goldman Sachs, where he oversaw trading in government securities and mortgage bonds and rose to become the company’s Chief Information Officer.
Appointment of Wilbur Ross — Secretary of Commerce
- Mr. Ross’s extraordinary business career and history of bringing struggling companies back to profitability make him the ideal person to lead the Commerce Department and to implement President-elect Trump’s America-first economic agenda.
- The selection of Mr. Ross for Commerce Secretary once again shows that President-elect Trump is surrounding himself with world class talent — the very best people from both the public and private sectors.
- Mr. Ross agrees with President-elect Trump that the United States must free itself from the “bondage” of “bad trade agreements.” He is a world-class negotiator and can be counted on to be a forceful advocate for America’s interests in the global economy.
- Mr. Ross agrees with President-elect Trump that we must roll back the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and forge bilateral trade deals that protect American workers and consumers.
- Mr. Ross agrees with President-elect Trump that cutting taxes for working Americans, reducing burdensome government regulations, and unleashing America’s energy resources will create a booming economy that works for EVERYONE.
- Mr. Ross has been a savior for struggling U.S. industries in the private sector, and he will now do the same in his new post on behalf of the American people.
- Mr. Ross’s business record shows he places significant value on US production. While other investors would have allowed foreign interests to devour US manufacturers, Mr. Ross doubled-down on his belief in American workers, savings numerous companies and tens of thousands of jobs.”
Continue the list here.